Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Faux Zuppa Tuscana

For my fellow Olive Garden fans:

This is one of my favorite dishes ever. It's fairly easy - just a lot of chopping.

1 Tbsp. Olive oil
1 lb. ground Italian sausage, mild
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper, plus more to taste
2 1/2 cup water
2 (14 1/2 oz.) cans chicken broth
3 large russet potatoes, peeled, halved lengthwise, sliced 1/4" thick
1 tsp. salt1/2 tsp. freshly group pepper
1/2 bunch kale, stems removed, chopped
1 cup heavy (whipping) cream

Saute sausage in oil. Remove sausage to plate and set aside. Add onion, saute until translucent. Add garlic and crushed red pepper, cook 1 minute. In a large pot, combine water and broth; add onion mixture. Add potatoes, salt and pepper. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat, simmer about 10 minutes. Add kale and sausage, simmer until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Stir in cream. Heat to simmer over medium heat, cook 2 minutes.

3 comments:

Adriane said...

OH MY GOSH!!! This is what I get EVERY time I go to the Olive Garden. Just this too, so I can get a million bowls and enjoy it. I cannot WAIT to try this recipe!

Betsy said...

You will love it. It's SO GOOD!

Unknown said...

It IS so good!!! I tried it tonight, and my hubby could not stop eating, or saying how good it was--he says it was BETTER than the Olive Garden's!!!

Thank you thank you!

The only thing is, I think you may have missed putting the onion in the ingredient list--I got to it in the directions and didn't have one, but it turned out good anyways! Is it one onion, or a half?